Sunday, July 29, 2007

Here I am For The First Time

This is my day to rejoice. It's Sunday for one thing. I started this week with visiting teaching. I and my partner visited 3 sisters. We talked about holiness and purging of our hearts through Christ.
My family and I returned last night from 5 days of camping at Panguitch lake and then 2 days in Cedar City at George Wythe College for a seminar entitled How To Read A Book. I have been excited to share an epiphany I had Friday night the 20th of this month. It was 11pm and I was standing in the book line at BYU bookstore to pick up my HP book when it came to me in a sudden realization that I was standing there and I needed to read something. The closest book was the 2005-2006 BYU speeches and I started with the first talk. I'm sorry to say that I have lost the piece of paper where I wrote the authors name but I am going to go get either the book or his name this week. Here is what I heard... reading of classics helps us to connect with the times and the emotions in which our ancestors lived. The author was taking about genealogy and connecting our hearts more fully to our ancestors through readings of classic works. I have been so touched by this simple statement. Currently I am learning Les Mis and now as I read, I am thinking not only of ancestors but people I will someday meet in heaven and if I can understand the time in which they lived through reading I will be more understanding of them in our communications.
While camping 5 days in the rain and cooler temperatures, we as a family read #7 of Harry Potter. There we were up in the mountains, the Western Tanagers flying all over the place and the Broad Tail Hummingbirds along with the Rufus Hummingbirds chasing the Broad tail that looks closely like the Ruby Throated Hummingbird were everywhere! It was amazing to see so many birds in our camp area along with chipmunks. Anyway I felt there were a number of spiritual epiphanies to share with our kids are we read. I am glad to be finished with the series now. I look forward to finishing the Ralph Moody books and the 10th book in the Nephite in Tennis Shoes(finally) series with our kids.
I will need to ponder the teachings of Oliver Demille in the seminar we attended, but I feel very hopeful that I am on the way to learning how to read a book properly. Boy I so want to talk to others about this. I did try to share a little with my sisters while visiting teaching. What was key for me? 1. Epiphanies: I did not realize that I had an epiphany while waiting for the HP book but now I do. I should be working for an epiphany rate 'ER' of 12 per hour. 2. Read to learn: I have always felt that I have to read from the first word to the last. I would take lots of notes but I never felt like I could remember anything worth while. 3. Read for transformation not information. I think that the speech I read at BYU is this beginning of transformation for me. 4. I love the idea of taking books for a date. Within a few minutes I can decide if I should go further into courting, then marrying or not, and then love. What I found so freeing is that I can learn 80% of a book by reading 20% and just because I marry a book does not mean that I have to read the whole thing. 5. Note taking: If I take notes they should be either for teaching others or a do list. This is where I should right my epiphanies.
I'm still nervous about this change that I hope to develop in my life. This educational change follows beside a spiritual change for me as well. Not long ago I realized that I do not have a testimony for motherhood. What I learned from my mom I have passed on to my daughters and son. I wanted to stop. We are now taking family coaching lessons and it is helping too. Friday night after our first day at the seminar, we had to go date some books, and marry one. I decided to marry As A Man Thinketh by James Allen. It was during my 20 minutes of learning that this epiphany came to me... I need to tell my children each day that I am thankful to be their mom

and thankful that they are letting me be their mom this day. So far so good. I also will be attending the temple weekly. Simply, I know this is going to bless us as well and help me to gain the testimony I am lacking.
I think this is fun now. I can progress. I have questions, lots of them, I need guidance and I'm ready to ask now. Thank you Heavenly Father. Until next time....

No comments: