Sunday, January 27, 2008

Beloved Church President, Gordon B. Hinckley,Dies at 97It's 9:00 pm and we have just heard the news that our beloved Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley, has died. My immediate response was to thank my Lord and my Father in Heaven for the blessing this man has been to me in my life, even though President Hinckley never knew me by name.

I will always remember the day that I and Gove were waiting for an interview as part of the hiring process for BYU. We were at the Headquarters of the church in Salt Lake City. The security man at the desk asked us to take a seat while the elevator was being used. About 10 minutes later I hear the guard say it was clear for "him" to come down and moments later there was my prophet! A man of God. Meek, humble, submissive, a giant of a man, full of love, kindness, charity, the purest of love. I jumped up and walked to the door and said,
"President Hinckley, I love you!"

I honestly don't remember what he said now but I know he loved me as well. Just as my Savior and Redeemer loves me.

I will also remember with my little family while living in New Orleans, we were blessed to have President Hinckley speak at a regional gathering of the Saints. Our children almost remember this but not really.

I am indebted to my Heavenly Father and to His loving Son, Redeemer of all, Jesus the Christ. For all the tears I am shedding, at the same time I rejoice for my prophet.

No comments: