Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Moths of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter



This short documentary presents a side of the authoress that's fascinating. I think my greatest enjoyment in listening to this unabridged book at Librivox.org was Gene's explanations regarding characters in her fictional writing and how she incorporated her nature studies of the Limberlost into her novels.
When Gene was describing the songs and antics of the cardinals, while searching for moths, I knew she was showing how she came up with the story for the Song of the Cardinal, which is a short story with an important moral understanding of the value of nature and mankind.
Months of the Limberlost is Gene's details of the joy of discovering and wondering "why" within the field of Lepidoptery . Written at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th, Mrs Porter was often frustrated with the lack of descriptive information in the current text books regarding lepidopterans.
I like how the author described in detail were to find these different moths, and although she is talking about Indiana and the formerly great swamp land of the Limberlost, I believe we will have success this Spring and Fall as we go out searching or rather "mothing". I will no longer be afraid of the horns on the Tomato caterpillar, nor will I kill it this year if I find it on my tomatoes. I am excited to search the Lilac bushes for potential specimens.
I am inspired by Gene to look closer and try some nighttime searching since the majority of moths are nocturnal. My only disappointment is that the author used the scientific names more often then the common.
Who knows, maybe there are Luna moths here in Utah! I'll find out.

No comments: