Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mrs. Sara Bradford Ripley to be exact...


I have the answer to the question posted on the 28th of March. Do you know who Mrs. Ripley is?
Thursday evening, our guest speaker for the PALMS colloquium shared with us who Mrs. Ripley was. She's probably a distant cousin of Gove's since both are related to William Bradford. Sara was friends with Emerson, Henry David Thoreau and others of the Transcendentalist movement. Mrs. Ripley sought education through the development of relationship learning. She sought out people both men and women who could mentor her. Because of the era, 19th century, she was not able to attend college. She decided to persevere instead of complain about her lot and became learned by associations, and then she shared her learning by mentoring students sent from the president of Harvard.

Martha shared two idea missing in our educational process. First the idea of Transformational Speaking and second the idea of Relationship Learning. I would love to open my moth and great, inspiring words would flow out. When I think of this type of person, I think of King Benjamin's address found in the Book of Mormon, or the prophet Nephi, or Gordon B. Hinckley. I remember Ronald Regan's "Tear down this wall Mr. Gorbichof" speech. Or at lest I remember the feelings and that's what makes a speech transformational. You are moved or a nation is moved to action. I would think that Obama has this ability as well but I don't know about his heart and sincerity. I already mentioned how Mrs. Ripley exercised the second point of learning through relationships. But how do I develop this and inspiring speaking skills? More practice and finding the people who desire the same growth as I do or who are already developing their educations and they or she/he would mentor me in turn. When I think of a mentor for myself or for my children I again turn to the Book of Mormon chapter 17 of Alma. The qualification of the sons of Mosiah, and the blessings they received for the effort they gave to seeking truth and righteousness. That's the type of mentoring I'm going to seek after as I build upon this idea of relationship learning that Martha just started to share when our evening ended. Maybe we can have her up again next year.

No comments: