Saturday, May 24, 2008

4x4 Gardening...


I'm posting just to say that I think the whole square foot gardening concept is going to work!

Today, our children helped for 6 hours planting their own garden plots and assisting me in preparing additional squares.
Attempting to describe what we created would be great if I wrote like Wister, Stratton-Porter, or L'Amour. But our little 4 foot x 75 foot rectangle of bare land is now glowing with colors from veggies and flowers. (At lest 30 feet is in color)

Eli is planning to grow flowers for harvesting and selling at the farmers market which starts the first weekend in June. Bethany has strawberries and watermelons growing. Mattia had mammoth Russian sunflowers. Among many other items we planted, I also added some Walla Walla onions. They smelled so sweet while planting.

I am getting a camera this very week so I can share a thousand words with just one click.

2 comments:

Christina Bartholomew said...

Sarah & I planted our garden last Friday; also a square foot one. Because we get mostly shade, though, we planted mostly tomatoes. I can't wait to see your garden.

Nickie said...

Wow, I love all your comments! Well, I hope the garden will be something to behold in another month.