Thursday, May 22, 2008

Looking For Understanding..even a glimpse will do

I'm embarrassed to say this, yet I want to be honest, and I think someone else might read this and feel the same way. I am embarrassed that I did not catch but a couple of the religious implications in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I could see parallels with repentance for Eustus. I think Reepicheep represents all of us hopefully with a mission to return to God and His country. But all the same I felt so bad about this that by 8am I was ready to go to the library and start my quest to find answers. (Thank goodness it's been raining for two days.)
I was happy to see my friend Kacy also seeking higher enlightenment. Sadly, Kacy did not have an answer for the type of book I would need, however it was nice to talk with her.
I found a few books intended to clarify the hidden meanings of the Narnia series.
I've enjoyed learning that C.S.L. as a child, read Edith Nesbit and took some liberties from her in his story telling. His home was actually used for the children who were evacuated from London at the start of WWII, and a little girl who came to his home once asked him what was behind the closet door. Which helped to inspire The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

This morning my son started relating Edmond, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader to Hector, Achilles, Odysseus, and Agamemnon from the Iliad with regards to characteristics of right verse wrong, good verses bad. And then I read that The Dawn Treader is a Odyssey/Gulliver's Travel type of story. It was surprising to me that Eli was discussing this very thing. I can envision future scholars in our children. This is an exciting adventure to be embarking upon.

So we continue to have fun learning. We removed our ziplock bags of molding food that we had hiding in a cupboard inside a paper bag. Wow, the spaghetti was the worst looking. It had not only liquefied, it had green and black mold growing. Funny, yet not funny, the store bought bread was clean as the day we placed it in the bag. The apple core was moldy but the apple slice was o.k. Hummus and peanut butter looked ok too.

No comments: