Sunday, June 15, 2008

Always A Student...

Fourteen years ago I figured my education was finished. I had graduated with a degree in Nursing. I was capable of caring for myself. What else was there? I could work and play.

Fortunately this attitude started to change about four years ago. I came across a book entitled, "A Thomas Jefferson Education for the 21st Century" by Dr. Oliver DeMille.

At that time, I did not realize the many changes that would influence my life. I began reading classics with no idea where it was going to take me. I started with Pilgram's Progress and Little Women.

Slowly, I came to see myself openly and I hope honestly. I did not like what I was seeing. I saw that I was not progressing within my character development. As a matter of fact, I was years behind. Just living an average life, which means spending a lot of time watching television.

I wanted to become a better person. I have many flaws. Anger, impatience, gluttony, weak self-confidence at times, are just a few to mention. So, I started with increased prayer, scripture study and a 12 step program.

Prayer is key to any improvement I have been blessed with. And forgiveness, humility, repentance, an increase of charity, and scripture study. Improvement take work, effort, sacrifice, and mostly time. Lots of time. Did I mention time? Lots of it. Patience to accept god's time plan and not my own.

Learning. It's fun. It's often hard and requires patience, sacrifice, and endurance. Yet the rewards of new understanding of what is truth is up lifting. Frankly I think it's a gift from God above.

I registered with George Wythe College earlier this week. I have contemplated this before but I'm some what apprehensive of the painful work involved, the sacrifice for reading, the papers to write. Oh boy. Yet, it has felt right. It is going to be another growth and learning opportunity if I am willing to work for it. Spiritual and Intellectual growth require a level of commitment and sacrifice on our part. The rewards are both earthly and eternal.

Forward I will strive to go, with Jesus at my helm.

No comments: