Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thatcherism?

I am behind on my reading for 5,000 Year Leap. But hopefully I can catch up today with writing some thoughts that are probably small in your eyes but big steps for me in thinking and understanding. Or I hope so anyway.

It's funny that I'm seeing how ignorant I am as I'm reading more. For instance, I was reading the June Imprimis from Hillsdale College. It's an address by John O'Sullivan, executive editor of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. He is at Hillsdale talking about the lecacy of freedom via the work of then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. I have heard of Reagonism, I had no idea that there was Thatcherism. And frankly I don't know what they mean. I'll go to Wikipedia for an outline idea.

It's an interesting article. This statement, "All these changes were a revival of what Shirley Robin Letwin, the distinguished Anglo-American political theorist, called the “vigorous virtues” in her important study of Thatcherism. These are such qualities as self-reliance, diligence, thrift, trustworthiness, and initiative that enable someone who exhibits them to live and work independently in society. Though they are not the only virtues—compassion might be called one of the “softer virtues”—they are essential to the success of a free economy and a civil society, both of which rely on dispersed initiative and self-reliant citizens." brought to my mind the work of Wm. Wilberforce and his friends with regards to Civil Society. It might not have any relation but it did in my mind.

I also thought the following quotes interesting and related them a little to the issue with the Articles of Confederation and the want of an United States instead of the sovern states during the period when the Constitution was being argued for and against...
"She believes in international cooperation between sovereign nation-states rather than global governance by transnational institutions." and
"Ironically, however, these virtues are threatened in Britain by growing statist regulation under New Labour; by the nation’s absorption into a European political structure built upon a very different tradition of constructivist rationalism; and by the failure of many conservatives to see the dangers in a European and global governance that lacks democratic accountability and threatens liberal freedoms".

I'll have to look up the meaning for constructivist rationalism. Thank goodness for WikiPedia.

If you can answer any of this for me, please do help expand my learning.

No comments: