Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Did I Really Mean That?...

A few blog entries ago I said something about the greatness of womanhood. I received a comment that has had me thinking. Did I mean greatness? It certainly sounded good when I said it.

This morning I had a sudden thought that I might mean goodness of womanhood and that I should seek out the origin of both words, greatness and goodness.My search didn't turn up something profound which I was hoping for.

I must add a little of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. This is Malvalio talking to Fabian.

"...but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em".

Our individual potentials are certainly understood by a loving Heavenly Father. I occasionally get a quick peek into my potential and it's so quick that I often miss it's significance. The potential to become all that God sees in me and in all of mankind is really amazing. I guess I think it's pretty darn great. Wow, such potential to become more then I am now. I don't feel that I have been utilizing all the gifts and talents that have been given me. To see this fact about myself and now to desire improvement that will be lifelong sure does give me hope.

I would relate this greatness of becoming who I am potentially able to be with Elder Robert D. Hales talk given at Education Week this year. It's entitled, "The Journey of Life Long Learning"
I've actually already posted about this talk so you will need to read and learn for yourself.

I also appreciated the September visiting teaching message which spoke to me upon these same lines.

“A woman’s richest rewards will come as she rises to fulfill her destiny as a devoted daughter of God. To all faithful Saints He has promised thrones, kingdoms, principalities, glory, immortality, and eternal lives. (See Rom. 2:7; D&C 75:5; 128:12, 23; 132:19.) That is the potential for women in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is exalting, everlasting, and divine” (“Woman—Of Infinite Worth,” Ensign, Nov. 1989, 22).

“Oh, that every girl and woman would have a testimony of her potential for eternal motherhood. … Female roles did not begin on earth, and they do not end here. A woman who treasures motherhood on earth will treasure motherhood in the world to come, and ‘where [her] treasure is, there will [her] heart be also’ (Matthew 6:21). By developing a mother heart, each girl and woman prepares for her divine, eternal mission of motherhood” (“A ‘Mother Heart,’ ” Liahona and Ensign, May 2004, 76).


Well, there is so many wonderful learning experiences ahead of me and my children. Life is full of greatness in blessings, and trials. Man is that he might have joy. I'm just beginning to appreciate joy for the sake of joy and the value joy holds in my life.

Ultimately, spiritual greatness is what I really hope to be seeking. Greatness comes by being humble, meek and submissive to the will of God in my life. Studying my central cannon and teachings of religious leaders.

Again I feel excited for this lifelong adventure.

Seeking...Praying...Listening...Learning...Experience...Wisdom...Understanding...


2 comments:

Hammy said...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Nickie said...

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for taking time to read this. Not sure I'm making sense yet but I'm progressing forward at some rate all the same. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.