Friday, October 17, 2008

A Quik Learning Moment...

In twenty minutes, I learned that the first American expedition to the North Pole was an accumulation of attempts over 16+ years. What was most interesting was that the leader, Robert Peary should not have received all the credit. One Matthew Henson, an African American should of received equal praise as he accompanied Peary on all of his attempts and possibly/actually made it to the pole about 45minutes before Peary.

But thanks to the Supreme Court ruling of 1896 which said it was legal for local governments to segregate, Henson received no accreditation except to be called the "manservant" of Peary.

It was not until 1944 that Mathew Henson was given recognition from the United States, the Navy, and in 2001 was posthumously awarded the National Geographic Society's Hubbard Medal which Peary received in 1909.

Apparently in 1908 a Dr. Cook claimed he reached the North Pole first. However, because Henson chose to learn the Inuit language and culture, he was able to speak to the two Inuit guides and they confirmed that Cook had not reached the North Pole.

I'm sure I could do more reading on this subject. Yet giving a few minutes, not hours, towards reading, I learned something I never knew. How exciting. I also liked the fact that I was warm in my home while reading about the bitter cold of Greenland and the Arctic Sea. A big thank you to the heros who created insulation.

2 comments:

Christina Bartholomew said...

And now I've learned something new. I'll match you one . . . I learned at a museum in California that the ancient people in meso-america had plumbing. They used clay pipes to bring water to the wealthier homes.

Nickie said...

Isn't it great to learn new things! Wow we sure love plumbing and I'm glad it isn't just for the wealthy too!