Monday, December 1, 2008

Who's Our Protector...

In Saturdays newspaper, I read that the Homeland Security office of Kentucky is supposed to credit God with keeping the state safe. How interesting. I thought to myself what might be the change in America if God was acknowledged more whole heartedly. Would there be any change or improvement?

Following my line of thought with The 5,000Year leap of my previous post, I decided to look this article up and see where it might fit in with the 28 principles. I found two principles that fits this subject. Principle 4 says that "Without religion the government of a free people cannot be maintained."

At President Washington's Farewell Address, he said; "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports...Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail to the exclusion of religious principle."

Who's morality do you follow? Apparently the new Governor of Kentucky (Steve Beshear) did not affirm that Deity had indeed protected the state in his Homeland Security report for this year. Well, how much credit should be shown to god anyway? One of this states senators, Kathy Stein, said that requiring the department to credit God takes away from the states Homeland Security's mission. What I wonder is what does it take away?

What to think???.... Next summer I might have more understanding about this. Our colloquium group will be reading the first volume of De Tocqueville's Democracy in America.

The other principle I thought would work for this news article is the 5th. "All things were created by God, therefore upon Him all mankind are equally dependent, and to Him they are equally responsible."

George Washington, as commander of the American military during the Revolutionary War acknowledged that the hand of God intervened in behalf of the struggle for independence at lest sixty-seven times (according to Charles Flood's research).

It was our Founders who came up with a national motto. What good is our national motto "In God We Trust" if our nation does not believe in that trust anymore?

Who is your protector? I can answer that indeed God is my protector just as long as I am living in accordance with what I know to be right. And no doubt about it, we each know right from wrong. The question is are we going to acknowledge that which is right from that which is wrong.

No comments: