Saturday, April 4, 2009

Past Days...


This is what we call "bedroom math".

It's relaxing, different, fun, and you're learning at the same time!

Imagine that.

I
t's funny how things happen with homeschooling.





I suggested that we do math in bed about a
month ago while the kids were preparing for their Singapore lessons. I thought it might be fun. I wasn't wrong. Now we often do this.

Words are so powerful. I forget to use them to inspire a change. Like last week, we are doing mental math and I said to the kids that it was time for another round of continental math learning and they were totally excited. All because I used a word from Liberty's Kids. 'Contenential'






Very interesting! Last month, Beth was peeling her hard boiled egg and discovered this in the middle.

What would you call it? How about ring around the yoky?

What do you think caused this? I don't know myself.










Here is Beth earning her second place in the Bee A Beekeeper essay contest sponsored by the Utah County Bee Association.

She received a brood hive box with 10 frames with foundation, veil and hat, hive tool, a 3 lb. package of bees, which will be arriving on the 18th of this month. A one year membership and state registration, and if that wasn't enough the whole family attended a two day beginners class and received a book called First Lessons In Bee Keeping.

Wow! Not a bad month.

Now to get the hive put together and the apiary selected. We're going to be bee keepers can you believe it!

Last night we went to our monthly meeting and watched how to 'hive a package' This is going to be totally interesting, nerve racking too being so close to those wonderful honey bees.

4 comments:

Christina said...

You're such a great mom to give your children lots of experiences. Good luck with the hives!

Nickie said...

Thank you my friend. I think it's wonderful to get that fire of desire to strive to be a better mom.

You are doing a great job too.

Hammy said...

Fun to catch up. The egg yolk is also very cool. I wonder what other interesting things we would find in our food if we weren't in such a hurry to eat.

Cathy B said...

August told me about Bethany's prize. Tell her we are proud of her and I am so happy that the whole family gets to have an experience with beekeeping!

Cathy