Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy 12th Birthday...

 Here is the birthday girl on her 12th birthday which was celebrated yesterday. She and her mom got up at 5am and went to the Provo temple to do baptisms with the young women who happen to attend every Tuesday morning. It was wonderful to sit with my oldest daughter, second child, and talk about her growth and development as a daughter of God. We talked about rose buds opening into beautiful roses and how our journey from girlhood into womanhood can be related to the maturing of a rose bud into a rose flower. We hugged and held hands and so many people smiled and welcomed     us because we were sitting at the entrance, waiting for the other girls to arrive.

My Tribute to Beth goes something like this. I am at times overwhelmed by the determination of this girl. She awakes herself about 6am showers, practices the piano, reads her scriptures. She already read the Book of Mormon this year and is working on the Doctrines and Covenants currently. She feeds her animals and loves to spend every spare minute in reading. And if that isn't enough, she is teaching herself Latin. I administered her first exam through the Christian Latina program and learned about derivatives from her.          It was fun to find English words that originated in Latin.

Here's what's overwhelming to me. She isn't asked to do these things. She does it herself and has for many months now. Sometimes I worry she is going to be a major type A perfectionist and possibly have a hard time living with herself.  I hope I can offer wise counsel though I feel completely inadequate for the greatness of the responsibility. I know, let the holy spirit guide...

I look at her and my other children and wonder who they really are or are to become potentially speaking. Beth is creative in writing and has enjoyed the idea of being a veterinarian or some form of an animal keeper since she was able to walk comfortably through the bayou when we lived in New Orleans. I often wonder what is going on in that mind of hers. Usually it is her imagination creating a story.

Happy Birthday Bethany! Your family loves you.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Happy Birthday Bethany! And what a way to spend the day! I think it's amazing that they do baptisms every week, what an awesome experience. I love her determinations and accomplishments, they're inspiring! Your children are amazing, but that's no big surprise seeing as how they have such wonderful parents. Luckies!

Nickie said...

Cherie,
You are looking so beautiful! Thank you for checking on us.