Sunday, July 8, 2012

Response to a question asked of me at Facebook.. and an invitation to you...

Back in May, I was reading about Common Core at the Utahns Against Common Core web site and decided I would support this cause by "liking" it on Facebook. A day later, my neighbor left a message asking why I am against common core because he kinds of thinks it's a matter of being misguided.  Surprise, surprise, I don't often check Facebook so it wasn't until June 10th that I just happened to scroll down to that part of my account and saw his question. And since June 10th I have been deeply invovled with sewing and preparing for the Colonial Heritage Fest. Now my busy days are over and I set at my computer with my second degree burnt leg (a colonial kitchen accident) elevated and try to answer.

Frankly my reasoning is pretty weak. I mean who can stand on just saying,"gut instincts". It just wont float. But that being said I do have a few other reasons and though my reasons probably have nothing to do with Common Core directly I think indirectly my ideas do. And then of course there is always The Constitution of the United States of America and the 10th Amendment of the Bill of Rights (Super Big Reason!)

Small Reason #1: Books I've read...
Democracy in America (vol. 1): gave me a headache but interesting.
The Underground History of American Education: I thought this can't be true but every time we looked up the information, there it was. True. And also by John Taylor Gatto Dumbing Us Down.
Uncle Tom's Cabin: life changing, yet it plays a part in all of this...bondage comes in all sorts of colors/shapes and sizes.
Animal Farm and Atlas Shrugged: both have been happening for sometime now. I'm just beginning to see. 
Roots of American Order: learning from the past
The 5,000 Year Leap: my first big awakening that I needed to learn and would have something to do with repealing the 17th Amendment. I know, go ahead and laugh, but I cried when I received this impression/revelation.
Coal: A Human History: somehow plays into all of this too, as do the Federalist and Anti-federalist Papers which literally gave me super big headaches until I found a modern companion to help me understand what was being said just slightly more than not.

Honestly, after reading all of these books/papers I just mentioned, I still don't know much and can't even write a persuasive transformational paper. Yet, because I strive to not trust in the arm of flesh (not always easy) but rather ask God to guide my learning as there are so many people willing to lead me and our nation and I'm sure I am blind to many things and have yet to learn the truth for what God wants me to know and understand, I am confident that I am on the right path for me, Nickie. (Actually I have the feeling I need to step it up a notch).

I have two other small reasons that are so silly I think I'll be laughed at but since this is my blog and most likely no one is going to read down to this point (tell me if you did read to here), I'll say them.

The movement for parents and children to have their meals, all three meals, at the school. It's happening in Ohio I think I read and even testing it in the Ogden area if I'm not mistaken) and the development of health clinics that will serve elementary, middle, and high schools without needing the parents to be there. Big bells of warning in my mind. Hello Animal Farm. I'm sure this will all start out very innocently but give it time it will change.

Anyway I'm going to try to attend this meeting. Anyone else want to go with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY0ns3N1EpE&feature=youtu.be

And here is more details about the speakers thanks to Kim K.

Free Common Core Public Forum- Come and ask questions
Tuesday July 10 2012
7-9 pm
Larry H. Miller Auditorium
9750 South 300 West
Sandy, Utah 84070

Feature List of Experts:

Dr. Bill Evers: Research Fellow at the Hoover Institution Stanford University and member of the Institution's Koret Task Force on K-12 Education; specializes in research on K-12 education policy, especially as it pertains to curriculum, teaching, testing, accountability, and school finance. Served as U.S. Assistant Secretary of Education for Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development from 2007-2009. Bill was appointed as senior adviser to U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spelling during 2007. He is currently serving as a member of Mitt Romney's Education Policy Advisory Group.(http://www.lvtsg.com/imho/2012/05/mitt-romney-announces-members-of-education-policy-advisory-group/)

James Gass: Pioneer Institute's Director of the Center for School Reform. He has over a decade of experience in public administration and education reform on both the state and municipal levels. Between 2002 and 2005, Jamie worked at the Massachusetts Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (EQA). As Senior Policy Analyst-Technical Writer with the EQA, he oversaw the writing and editing of 80 school district review reports. From 1991 to 1996, he worked for the Dean of the Boston University School of Education/Boston University Management Team in its partnership with the Chelsea Public Schools. Jamie earned a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations from Boston University.

Emmett McGroarty, Esq.: attorney and senior director at the American Principles Project; has developed some of the formative analyses on the roles that private, federal, and state interests played in the development of the Common Core program and the related assessments and data collection; introduced the ALEC anti-common core legislation; and has been working with groups and individuals across the country to defeat the Common Core scheme; founder ofthetruthinamericaneducation.org network.

Kent D. Talbert is a co-founder of Talbert & Eitel, PLLC. His practice includes legal services to colleges and universities, accrediting agencies, the K-12 education sector, charter school organizations, professional and trade organizations, and others in the education sector. Prior to establishing the firm, he served as General Counsel of the U.S. Department of Education from 2006-2009, where he acted as the chief legal adviser to Secretary Margaret Spellings.

1 comment:

JRHelgeson said...

I read it all - and I understand and agree with you completely. You've got to trust your gut. BIG IDEA solutions never seem to work out well.