Sunday, April 21, 2013

Weighing and Measuring is good...

"Unlike alcoholics, who must learn to live without their drug of choice, we must learn to live with ours."

I was thinking last night as I was driving home from Ogden with a car load of kids that it would have been nice if just Bethany and I were driving home because then we could stop at some place like Golden Corral and have dinner. Luckily for me, I had all those kids in the car as they saved me from falling into a binge. I was hungry and when we arrived home just prior to 8pm I was still thinking about just eating something when I was blessed to realize that I can measure out my food properly. I could have a veggie burger and 24 oz of cooked veggies (no one had eaten them!) some butter salt and dressing. By the time I slowly ate my meal I began to feel control and gratitude for not slipping off the edge. Deep breaths, and I really realized for the first time since coming to this 12 step program that I was actually thankful for the chance to measure and weigh my food.

How neat is that?! I figure someone reading this will think how terrible. But really it's actually sanity for me. 

This morning, I decided to start reading a short article called 'An Abstinence Model For Compulsive Eaters'. The paper covers abstinence in three areas of my life; physical abstinence, emotional abstinence, and spiritual abstinence. One emotional fact I am learning to recover from is negative self-talk and self-deprecating thoughts. Every day I say to myself the following: "I accept myself unconditionally right now." One of the Spiritual flaws I have is the lack of abstaining from the belief that all things in my life must be dealt with alone and letting go of control. So each day I also repeat the Serenity Prayer and a list of Letting Go thoughts.

Now that I have been using these affirmations for a couple of months I long to find very meaningful scriptures to add to my affirmations. I now go searching for what I need there but I'm not sure what it is that I'm looking for so when I find them I will share.

Take care my friends. Enjoy the journey and repeat the following just for today.


Just For Today 
 
Just for Today:
I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life
problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime. 
 
Just for Today:
I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said,that, "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." 
 
Just for Today:
I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my
own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself to it. 
 
Just for Today:
I will try to strengthen my mind.I will study. I will learn something
useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought,
and concentration. 
 
Just for Today:
I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn,
and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two
things I don't want to do--just for exercise.I will not show anyone that my feelings are
hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it. 
 
Just for Today:
I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk
low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to
improve or regulate anybody except myself. 
 
Just for Today:
I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly but I will have it. I
will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision. 
 
Just for Today:
I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half
hour, some time, I will try to get abetter perspective of my life. 
 
Just for Today:
I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me."

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unquestionably believe that which you said.
Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to
be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries
that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Here is my page :: workouts to increase vertical jump