Monday, May 20, 2013

Starting a Vanguard Youth Group in Provo?


Dear Moms, Dads, and Youth,
I am sending out feelers for parents and youth who are looking/desiring/willing/feeling like they need something different for their education.
I have been having lots of thoughts/feelings and it wasn't until an acquaintance from SL area mentioned Vanguard Youth and I looked into the idea that my feelings of concern and the heavy weight of the matter started to be replaced with peace.
I believe I have been guided to what I and my youth need for our educational pursuits this year and into the next. As I plan to learn more and seek guidance from Mary and Karen (the creators of Vanguard) I realized that I should see if there are other parents/youth interested and would also like to learn more.
I admit there is a lot I don't see in my mind clearly so I may not be able to answer your questions right now. I just want others to know about this opportunity for growth, the use of agency and principle-based education with a strong Christian and LDS foundation.
There are four areas of education: Leadership Academy (morality/government/freedom), Eureka (math/science), Geo-Quest (geography/history), and Imaginative Arts (arts/imaginative literature)
WHAT I LIKE about this approach are the three levels of depth to learning. The youth ages 12-18 all start with Apprentice level work. And then they can decided if they want to do the Journeyman and or Master level work each week. There are some incentives and of course age and maturity play a part too.
At the end of this message I will include links to the Vanguard blog site, newsletters, and other items I thought helpful in trying to understand this approach to learning.
I live in Provo and have a large community room in which to hold the classes. So I am looking for families who can come to Provo. This isn't something I can do by myself on a large scale. I will need other parents who feel like minded.
BTY, the newsletter link below was helpful in creating an image in my mind of how Vanguard runs.
If you want to talk about this call me at 801-850-6554 or email me at veronnicaallen@gmail.com

Vanguard Mentors Blog Sitehttp://vanguardmentors.blogspot.com/
Books to Capture the Vision (I have not stated to read these yet) http://vanguardmentors.blogspot.com/2012/07/books-to-capture-vision.html
Founder's Notes, start up info and great resources: http://vanguardnotes.blogspot.com/p/start-up-info.html
Thank you –

Our Deepest Fear
By Marianne Williamson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.
We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small
Does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine,
As children do.
We were born to make manifest
The glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us;
It's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we're liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

"For nearly six thousand years, God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the Second Coming of the Lord. Every previous gospel dispensation has drifted into apostasy,
 but ours will not...
 God has saved for the final inning some of his strongest children, who will help bear off the Kingdom triumphantly. And that is where you come in, for you are the generation that must be prepared to meet your God.
All through the ages the prophets have looked down through the corridors of time to our day. Billions of the deceased and those yet to be born have their eyes on us.
 Make no mistake about it—you are a marked generation. There has never been more expected of the faithful in such a short period of time as there is of us..."
-Ezra Taft Benson "In His Steps" 1979

No comments: