I have not heard much about Buddha's teachings but I like these ideas:
Five Aspirations... the principle of causing no harm
1. I will endeavor not to harm sentient beings.
2. I will endeavor not to steal.
3. I will endeavor no to misuse sexuality.
4. I will endeavor not to use false speech.
5. I will endeavor not to consume toxins.
Wholesome thoughts: diminish suffering (dukkha) and foster happiness and freedom.
Unwholesome thoughts or unskilled thought: is one that is not conducive to freedom and happiness but rather promotes suffering. (dukkha)
And somehow this is tied to an idea called not-self. Which I believe has something to do with disconnecting from ego's thinking and hearing the real spiritual self...I suppose that is enlightenment?
I like striving to slow down and be mindful for 10 to 20 minutes, to walk quietly for 10 minutes, to try and stay awake during a body scan, and to practice loving kindness meditation in the hopes of something positive happening somehow.